Friday, May 6, 2011

Coolness

So I don't get thoroughly impressed easily. Technology is usually what does it for me, but since there has been such a huge explosion in just my lifetime I tend to expect technology to impress me. But this thing is just really really cool.

Okay so a question for book-nerds: Is that not the coolest thing you've ever seen? While I'm still a strong proponent for a traditional book and all the nostalgia and emotion that comes with one, the eBooks really are taking over. And technology like this makes me think that it might not be so bad.

While there is, what appears to be, a substantial oral component to this technology (over an hour of documentary footage!), I don't think this applies as directly to my study on orality as the spoken word poetry. This seems to be more pertaining to digital humanities today. Even if it doesn't apply anywhere at all I just wanted to show it because it's bad ass.

It could pertain to the orality study in a certain way though. Ong talks about the finality of the word. Once the word is on print it becomes separate, and acts as a separation, from author and reader. It becomes a "thing" instead of an event. Technology like this could totally change that viewpoint or, at least, modify its dimensions. Now the word is interactive with information available to the reader immediately. The possibilities are incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment